Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Thoughts: Pravana Chromasilk Vivids vs. Rusk Scream Color Gels



Rusk Scream Color Gel in Rocket Red. 

 






Pravana Chromasilk Vivids in Red.






Ok I'm going to start off by telling you what Pravana and Rusk say about these products..

"A collection of 10 shades of the most vibrant colors imaginable. Vivids can be combined with more conventional colors to provide an array of stunning color effects. Vivids are the longest-lasting colors of their type available anywhere! " -Pravana


"Scream™ Color Gels are vibrant, translucent gels that temporarily infuse the hair with pigments. Totally versatile, they temporarily take hair color from a whisper to a scream!" -Rusk


So what they are:

Pravana Vivids is a semi-permanent hair color that stains the outer layer of your hair. They come in 10 shades which all are basic colors like red, blue, violet, yellow, pink, green, ect. The lasting power of these hair colors depends entirely on how often you wash your hair and  the porosity of your hair.
Pravana Vivids include silk and keratin protiens, the silk protiens adding shine  and longer lasting color and the keratin adding strength to your hair.


Rusk Scream Color Gels are temporary and come in 10 shades, which  include a red, dark red, purple, dark purple, pink, dark pink, yellow, orange, blue, and clear. Rusk says these temporary colors adds shine while reconstructing and conditioning your hair. The lasting power of these last entirely on how often you wash your hair and the porosity of your hair as well.



What I think:


So I have been using Pravana Vivids for the past couple years. I have used these on myself as well as on any of my clients that have wanted a bright color. The colors are basic, but you have enough colors where you mix and match and create just about any shade you want.  i.e: When I had purple in my hair, I would mix the Violet with Magenta and make the shade I wanted. (the Violet on its own is very blue toned which I did not like) 
Since Vivids are semi-permanent they fade out with washes. When using this product I only have to re-do my hair every 3 weeks. Again thats depending on how often I wash my hair. I wash my hair twice a week, I use sulfate-free shampoo, and I wash my hair in cold water. Doing all of that makes your hair color last 10 times as long! I do think these colors add shine, and I have noticed they help strengthen my hair a little bit.

I am currently using Rusk Scream Color Gels in Rocket Red.. even though I was completely happy with Pravana, I wanted to try these well, because I just like to try new products. So  I bought a few bottles because I honestly thought I would love it. Sadly, I don't. They last about 2-3 washes! So I'm coloring my hair every week which is too much up keep for me, I love to do hair, but I don't love to do MY hair. lol. As for the color selection, I like that each color has a lighter and darker shade. I do like that its gel as well, it spreads throught my hair easier. I have noticed these color gels add a lot of shine, which I love, but i have not noticed it help condition and reconstruct my hair.


I will be repurchasing Pravana Chromasilk Vivids, probably forever lol. I will also continue to reccommend Pravana Vivids to everyone who wants a long lasting bright color.
I will never repurchase Rusk Scream Color Gels, unless they change their formula. It was honestly a waste of a lot of money and I was really disappointed.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the article I had been using Rusk Rocket Red for over 4 years. I ran into Pravana's product once before but I don't know why I didn't continue it. I dyed my hair back to black for four years and finally went back to red again. The stylist used pravana on me again and I love it. I did have to dye my hair every 2-3 days when I was using Rusk. I'm glad I read this article because I think I'll be sticking with Pravana from now on!

    ReplyDelete